Treatment prepares you for lifestyle changes in recovery. Treatment also teaches you how to develop a plan to make a seamless transition into a new sober lifestyle. Recovery planning will help you avoid triggers, maintain a healthy diet, sustain emotional wellness, and discover healthy, enjoyable activities.
Each treatment program is tailored to fit each person’s unique needs. In recovery, you need to use the skills and coping strategies you developed while in treatment. Exercise, yoga, reading, and other activities can be integrated into a healthy sober lifestyle when treatment ends.
Here are 5 ways to prepare for a healthy recovery:
- Make a plan to live healthy. In treatment, you will learn how to live healthy by making healthy choices. Eat nutritional foods, exercise regularly, discover healthy activities, and develop a support network from sober people in group therapy.
- Join a gym or yoga class. Exercise is proven to increase mood and maintain mental and physical wellness.
- Avoid triggers. Recognize your triggers and develop a plan to avoid them. Stay away from people associated with drug or alcohol use and places that remind you of these substances. Triggers can cause intense cravings and lead to relapse.
- Keep a journal. Keeping a journal is useful for writing down feelings and experiences you have during recovery. It allows you to reflect on how you handled difficult times through the course of recovery. The journal also keeps track of your success and encourages your continuing sobriety.
- Attend group meetings after treatment ends. Sometimes new friendships develop through group meetings. It also helps to know that you are not alone. People in group meetings are very supportive and are willing to talk to you when you feel intense cravings. The person can talk to you to keep your mind busy and eliminate thoughts of turning to drugs or alcohol.
Discover your interests and stay active to get the best out of a new sober lifestyle. If you or a loved one is struggling with addiction, you are not alone. Take the first step toward a healthy, sober lifestyle and get help today.
Serenity Springs Recovery Center focuses on rejuvenating men’s holistic spirit for success in addiction recovery. Our unique dual-diagnosis treatment program with a 12-step completion model helps men change their lives inside and out. Our mission is to provide tools and support for every client’s seamless transition into a meaningful and fulfilling life in sobriety. For information, call (386) 423-4540